Wednesday, January 19

Remembering Hrant Dink

I remember that day clearly. I just moved to Istanbul, it was January 15th 2007 and just four days after my arrival I heard of Hrant Dink's brutal murder. Back then, I didn't know much about Dink, nor was I aware of AGOS

Today, is exactly four years since Dink's murder and as I write these sentences, thousands are gathering in front of the newspaper head quarters in Sisli to commemorate Hrant (watch live). 

I also remember my first visit to AGOS newspaper. Hrant's big posters everywhere. He was a man with ideas and dreams. He was a fighter. But what happened to things that Hrant Dink was fighting for so passionately- looking at relations between Armenia and Turkey, the two are more distant than ever and prospects for reconciliation are stuck somewhere between Turkey's and Armenia's weak foreign policy, Nagorno Karabakh and the rest of the world that talks so much of the Turkey- Armenia rapprochement but does too little to have any effect if any on the process.

Will things change? Will relations between these two countries improve? No one knows but so long as there is no real commitment to change things, it will remain as it is for years to come... 

R.I.P. Hrant Dink! 

http://vimeo.com/8354190 (video you can view on vimeo about Dink's murder titled from January 19th to January 19th- I couldn't embed the video as its restricted by the owner of the video but you can view it on that page)

No comments: