Saturday, January 26

January 26th, #protestBaku, #riotsIsmayilli (updated)

A Facebook page was launched yesterday in support of all those detained. Its being updated regularly.

***
Here is Khadija Ismayil's story of her own detention:

I tried to be as detailed as possible. Sorry if it is too boring

DETENTION

You know from videos how and where this happened. I was among protesters (not as a journalist) in Sahil park next to ruling party headquarter and Sahil Metro station. I was already silent, as most of the protesters were dispersed. The group of the police attacked just to take me (in fact couple of friends heard them receiving an order to take me and warned). I was screaming asking who they are, as they never introduced themselves and what they want. They carried me towards the car, and they didn't allow me to get into car myself. They just pushed me into the car. I was on the floor of the cabin for some time, while they pushed two more people to the car (there was one guy - Zaur Orujov, blogger from Sumgayit -  already there when I was pushed). As there was no place to move inside the cabin, car moved to deliver us to police station. 

POLICE CAR

There were only three seats. I was on the floor and couldn't move in order not to harm myself in the roughly moving car, due to the stomack operation I recently had, I have to be very careful with movements.

Aynur Imranova, the lady, who was pushed to the car after me asked the police to stop the car, so we could settle inside. They had to stop the car anyway because of the traffic jam and I could stand and sit on the seat. Turkel Rustamkhanli, the last one who was pushed inside, remained sitting on the floor.

SPECIAL TREATMENT

The first destination was Khatai Police station's Detention facility. People there were polite to us, gave chairs and water. All cameras were full. I saw a girl Zeyneb Rzayeva from Nida and Ilkin Rustamzade there. Police officer came to write a protocol. While we were in the middle of identifying who I am and where I live, I was summoned to the police station next door with words "Reis chagirir" - The chief wants to see her. With full understanding of "reis"'s interest to my personality I followed the order and was taken to the next door building - the police station itself. There was no "reis" though - not that I am disappointed, but there should have been a point in separating me from others. The same officer started writing an "Explanation" on my behalf. He wrote all my details, and I told him that if I am supposed to write this paper, I can do it myself, especially given that he was making too many grammar mistakes. He said he will write the form and I will write my answers to his question.

The question was, what I was doing the time and place of detention, what was a purpose of my appearance there. 

EXPLANATION -ACCUSATION

I wrote that I was protesting use of excessive force against civilian, non violent people. The force was used by plain cloth people and uniformed men, who never introduced themselves, never explained why they are dispersing people. I was informing the police officers that they have to defend the law, not the corrupt officials and they should serve people of Azerbaijan, not the bunch of oligarchs.

I also told that their children will be ashamed of them, because they don't help to build order in the society. In fact these people, who supposed to enforce law, violate laws and COnstitution, thus corrupting society and making it difficult to live in for their own children as well. Every time, when their children will suffer from problems in education, they have to remember that  these people, whom they screwed for protests, in fact cared for their children;s right for education. Every time when their mothers get wrong diagnosis from fake doctor, who bought his diploma from Medical University, or wrong treatment because of the counterfeight medicines, they have to remember these young guys, who protest on behalf of all children and all mothers, in order to stop this bizarre. Instead, they use force against those activists, and this is wrong. Not only from moral point of view, but also legally. IT IS ILLEGAL.

I wrote that  as good citizen I informed police about their duties and I am happy that I did it. But the police used force against me. And I hope they will be punished for that. I was asked again why I was in Sahil park. I said I stopped there while I was heading to participate in the demonstration in Fountains Square. I was going to participate, because I consider it wrong when government uses force against it's citizens. I consider it wrong, when corruption and mismanagement on high level enjoys impunity, while people who protest these crimes get punished. So I wanted to be there, to raise my voice against violence, and to support my ccompatriots in Ismayilli, who are under huge government's pressure today. 43 While I was wrting, policeman was reporting on the phone, that 43 people were brought to the station, and they managed to protocol identity of 8 of them so far. Then they decided that Khatai police is not good to keep me, they took me to Sabail police. On the way to Sabail I wrote in Facebook and responded several phone calls.

IN SABAIL POLICE

They took my telephone right away. Around 18-19 guys were in the cage across the corridor there. Then about 10 of them were taken somewhere.  Ilkin Rustamzade was also in Sabail now. There was also the guy, whose name was Orkhan Jarchiyev. I didn't recognize all names. In the section where they put me, there were four women: Kamala Bananyarli, whose arm was injured, Mardana, who was released soon, Kamilla Ahmedova and Gozel Bayramli.

Policemen were polite. We - women were shortening time composing poem about Ilham Aliyev's family corruption and discussing news about demolition of the Heydar Aliyev's statue in Mexico.

PROTOCOL ARGUMENT

They started composing  a protocol again. I said I am not going to write an explanation and sign the protocol before seeing my lawyer. I wrote this note in the protocol.

Then Kamal Valishov, the deputy chief of Sabail district court, summoned me to his room and demanded that I answer the questions, I said no. We had argument, he raised his voice and said, I will have to wait several days otherwise. I said I will not write anything or answer questions before the lawyer comes and he has no right to keep me. It is illegal. I told him that I know my rights, he has no right to put pressure on me for that. He gave up. In the evening (we didn't know what time it was), they took me and Gozal Bayramli to Sabail district court in the back of the police car. There were several activists there including Nihad from Popular Front and Elshan Hasanov  - former prisoner of conscious from Musavat Party and Turkel Azerturk - the Popular Front member who was fined for participation in January 12 protest against soldier mortality.

COMEDY 

The trial was a comedy. I entered the room where two men were sitting on the defense's place. I asked who they are and the judge said they are my lawyers. I said I don't know these people, I don't trust them and I refuse. I want my own lawyers. I didn't know that in fact my lawyers were outside of the building and were not allowed in. Judge said I can't have my own lawyer as they are not here. I said if they give me my phone, which was illegally seized in Sabail police, they will be here soon. Judge ignored and continued the comedy trial. He said there is a report by police about me, participating in rally in the Fountains Square. I said that report is fake, as I was not in Fountains Square today. I was detained in the Sahil Park. Sahil Park was not the designated rally place. Judge asked the lawyer Vagif Mammadov, whom I rejected about his opinion. I protested, that the judge should not involve the person, whom I didn't agree to accept. Judge ignored and continued. The lawyer said the case should be closed as I was not in the place they claimed I was. Judge went to consultation. He returned late. By that time my lawyers Elchin Sadigov and Fariz Namazov made their way to the court room. When he came the judge announced that I am being fined 400 AZN as I am guilty of violating the clause 298.2 of the Law On the Freedom Of Assembly.

Then I got out. I am not going to pay, as the judge's decision was illegal.
***
And here is the chronology of events (thanks to Khadija Ismayil's update on Facebook):
  • January 19
Baku-Astara highway:

Dozens merchants from Bina Trade Center were arrested for protesting against raising rent tax burdens. Police used tear gas against merchants. The merchants were going to rally to the presidential administration, when police with guns and rifles stopped them on the way. That caused blocking the road.

DOZENS ARRESTED, REPORTEDLY TORTURED IN POLICE, NOT ALLOWED LEGAL HELP OF THEIR CHOICE
  • January 23-24-25
Ismayilli:

People protested against social injustice and impunity to those in power, as a main cause of the blunt incident when drunk relatives of the governor offered money to buy all women of Ismayilli suggesting that men in Ismayilli will bite it as they bite everything so far. People burned down hotel Chirag (allegedly a brothel), which reportedly belonged to the governor, they also set his cars and scooters on fire. They said they saw their governor as the main reason for unemployment and powerty in the region. Police used tear gas, rubber bullets and water cannons against unarmed residents. Protests continued the next day. Arrests continue till now.

MORE THAN 100 ARRESTED, TORTURES, ILL TREATMENT WITNESSED BY JOURNALISTS, THOSE ARRESTED LACK LAWYERS. THE CITY IS ON SPECIAL REGIME - TROOPS DEPLOYED TO STAY THERE TILL MARCH, ACCORDING TO SOLDIERS. SEVERAL ACTIVISTS FROM BAKU WERE DETAINED AND SENTENCED TO 10-15 DAYS ADMINISTRATIVE DETENTION JUST FOR VISITING THE REGION. ARRESTED ISMAYILLI RESIDENTS ARE KEPT IN DIFFERENT REGIONS, NO ACCESS TO FAMILY OR LAWYER NO ACCUSATIONS. BASED ON EXPERIENCE WITH MARCH 1 2012 GUBA PROTEST, THEY MIGHT FACE HARSH PRISON SENTENCES.
  • January 26
300 or more youth protested police violence. "Get your arms off us" action was announced after violent actions in Ismayilli. Police blocked the designated rally place and people were dispersed.

POLICE USED VIOLENCE AGAINST NON VIOLENT PROMOTERS, AT LEAST 80 PEOPLE DETAINED, FIVE PEOPLE SENTENCED TO 13-15 DAYS ARRESTS, MORE THAN DOZEN TO FINES RANGING FROM 500 USD TO 3000 USD. THERE WAS NO ACCESS TO LAWYERS OF CHOICE IN THE MOST OF THE COURT HEARINGS.

***
While many of those so far released protestors were either let go or fined, Emin Milli received 15days in administrative detention; Ebulfez Gurbanli 13 days; and Turkel Rustemkhanli 13 days.

The fines are following (Thanks to updates shared by Elnur Majidli on Facebook): 
Turgut Gambar- 2500AZN
Gozel Bayramli- 2000AZN
Elchin Cerullazade- 600AZN
Ziya Bayramov- 600AZN
Elnur Carchiyev- 600AZN
Elshen Hasanov- 600AZN
Aygul Penceliyeva- 400AZN
Khadija Ismayil- 400AZN

***
Gulnaz Mammadli, the girl who was just released wrote about her arrest on Facebook (translation from AZ, original post here):
They peppersprayed anyone who protested on the bus. They sprayed it at the boy sitting next me (on his face), I inhaled it, filling my lungs. By the time I reached police station no. 37th, I was feeling weak. First they took me to the cell, then to a room, moments later I felt weakness and fell on the floor. The police officer trying to wake me up, poured the "cologne" all over my face. It felt like my brain was on fire. Then the ambulance came, they checked my pressure, it was high, they gave me a shot (Vafa Ali gave her the shot, she herself had high temperature). I still have a headache, and the burning of my lungs still hasn't gone away... 
***
The list of detainees from yesterday. I have removed all those released but there are still names there. Thanks to Sarah Paulsworth update, this list was also available on Facebook. 

"Currently being reported that more than 100 people were detained and taken various Baku police departments including Nesimi, Khatai, Sabayil, Narimanov. Among the people detained are:

3. Intigam Aliyev- well known human rights lawyer who has litigated cases before the ECtHR

7. Shavaled Chobanoglu - journalist but present at protest as a participant

12.  Mardana Huseynova Popular Front Party
13.  Kamala Beyenarli - Popular Front Party
14.  Tamalla Ahmedova - Popular Front Party
15.  Vusal Bayramov - Popular Front Party
16.  Xanim Mustafayeva - Popular Front Party
17.  Tuncay Guliyev -Popular Front Party
18.  Nicat Kemal - political activist (VHP)
19.  Mursel Aliyev - Director of Telebe.az, held at 21st Police Dept.

23.  Sahib Kerimov- taken to Nesimi Court
24.  Rufat Ehmedzade - taken to Nesimi Court
25.  Nargiz Yagublu - Musavat Party, held at 21st police dept., now on way to court

28.  Nazli Penjaliyeva - N!DA civil movement

30.  Nurlan Jafarli - N!DA civil movement
31.  Zeyneb Rzayeva - N!DA civil movement


34.  Fuad Hajiyev - N!DA civil movement

37.  Perrviz Abbasov - taken to 37th Police Dept.
38.  Asima Nasirlim - taken to 37th Police Dept.

40.  Elvin Elkhan

***
Here is another video showing how Azerbaijan's well known journalist Khadija Ismayil is dragged towards the police car, and forced to get in despite her asking the police officers to let go of her. This was police response to her pleads for the police to join the people for once but no avail. 



***
The round up from today's protest (rough translation) via Hebib Muntezir's status update:
- approximately 100 protestors [the actual number is not known yet] were detained during today's "support to Ismayilli" protest;
- some were pepper sprayed at the bus after being detained. journalists were also mistreated;
- at the moment 43 persons are held up in Khatai district police;
- others, are taken to Nasimi no. 21 and 22 and Khatai's 37th district police departments;
- while many saw water pressure tanks at different parts of the city, none were used during the protest; there is still tension and police patrol continues

Some initial footage from today's protest in Baku.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOw this is in Baku? This is very sad.......praying for a peaceful resolution.